13 Pools That Epitomize Outdoor Living at Its Finest
Straight from the Galerie archives, these swimming pools offer a refreshing way to beat the heat
There is nothing better than soaking up the sun and relaxing by a pool, especially in the comfort of a home, whether it’s yours or a friend’s. Showcased in Galerie, these private pools—in dazzling locations from Palm Beach to Marrakech—have stunning architectural design and complement their respective residences perfectly. Dive into our selection. It will have you wishing for summer year-round.
1. Eugenio Lopez’s pool area features artwork by Mexican artist Abraham Cruzvillegas, who created the sculpture of found materials next to the pool, as well as a Louise Bourgeois “Spider” seen climbing the poolside façade; the chaise longue and table are by designer Glyn Peter Machin.
2. Juan Montoya incorporates water into the design of Margarita Turull and Ricado Zapata’s Dominican Republic escape by curving the infinity pool around the outdoor living area to create an effortless indoor-outdoor space.
3. Architects Silvia Kuhle and Jeffrey Allsbrook of the Los Angeles firm Standard redesigned the Rudin family home with an emphasis on midcentury style. Their serene pool courtyard acts almost as an oasis for their weekend desert retreat.
4. Designer Ryan Jackson of Studio Jackson crafted a contemporary pool area for this Beverly Hills villa that is outfitted with furniture by Gandia Blasco and a John Dickinson side table by Sutherland.
5. Architect William Georgis swims daily in his La Jolla, California, home pool, which features vintage Maurizio Tempestini chairs for Salterini poolside.
6. In Rancho Mirage, California, architect Steven Harris and designer Lucien Rees Roberts renovated a 1957 Donald Wexler home that is the very essence of Desert Modernism with its sleek architecture and large pool area.
7. The exotic Marrakech riad of the Bulgari family features a stunning swimming pool within the main courtyard flanked by lanterns and a Pablo Paniagua–designed daybed.
8. Eddie Lee designed this La Jolla residence with a laid-back California style. The table and chairs set up in the pool area are by Gloster.
9. This Bermuda-style residence revamped by Aman & Meeks features elegant landscape designs by Keith Williams of Nievera Williams around the pool area as well as McKinnon and Harris dining chairs, chaise longues, and settees. The John Dickinson side tables are by Sutherland.
10. For this Palm Springs retreat crafted by Madderlake Designs, the desert landscape is incorporated into the home by Marmol Radziner. The pool area features chaises by Sutherland, with Perennials fabric on the cushions, and iron-and-travertine side tables by Philip Nimmo from Jean de Merry; Minotti made the sofa and daybed arranged around the fireplace.
11. At this Robert A.M. Stern Architects–designed estate in East Hampton, landscape designer Justin Terzi created a parterre of boxwood and Russian sage divided by a stone path leading to a Chippendale iron bench.
12. Fringed with honed absolute black granite, the pool at interior designer Bryan Graybill’s Hamptons retreat, created in collaboration with architectural firm Historical Concepts, features chaise longues by Kingsley Bate.
13. Conceived in collaboration with Kovac Design Studio, the Los Angeles home of Lori Kanter Tritsch and her partner, William P. Lauder, features sliding glass walls that open up to a pool court with spectacular views. The custom-designed terrazzo terrace is furnished with a sectional sofa by Holly Hunt and a B&B Italia dining table surrounded by Summit director’s chairs. Inside, a group of Robert Indiana screen prints makes a splash.